It’s a common misconception that washing your face often will help to achieve a clear and fresh complexion. Although cleansing your skin should be a part of your skincare routine, washing your face twice a day can actually damage the delicate balance of the skin on your face.
What could over washing do to my skin?
Over washing is a skin sin. Not only does it remove the protective outer layer which prevents irritants and bacteria from entering the skins barrier, but scrubbing your face too frequently and aggressively can also strip the skin of its natural oils. Removal of these vital oils will leave your skin feeling tight, dry, easily irritable and prone to redness and flaking.
Even if you have an oily skin type, over washing removes too much oil from the skin and encourages it to make more. Counterintuitively, your skin will be even oiler than it was before washing.
How should I care for my skin?
Rather than relying on cleansing which will remove necessary moisture from the skin, try this simple skincare routine as recommended by the experts at The Aesthetics Room.
In the evening:
- Remove buildup of daily dirt, grime and make-up with a gentle cleanser
- Avoid products that contain parabens and are SLSfree, as these common ingredients will irritate your face and disturb the skin’s barrier function
- Stop using toner. Toners strip the ‘good stuff’ from your skin and is a waste of time and money
- Apply a quality moisturiser or serum which has active ingredients that will improve your skin’s texture
In the morning:
- Splash your face with lukewarm water, but use don’t use any products to cleanse your skin
- Apply an SPF and moisturiser on top, if skin is dry
- If your complexion is congested or you’ve applied Vitamin A the previous evening, add a gentle, light cleanser step, but make sure that its rich in nourishing skin ingredients to compliment your skin rather than strip it
By following this simple shift in routine, you’ll quickly notice a big difference in your skin. For more tailored skincare advice and product recommendations, speak to a member of The Aesthetics Room team today.
Trust in The Aesthetics Room
The Aesthetics Room is a certified and reputable provider of skin, body, and hair treatments, with trained professionals administering treatments in its Harley Street and Knightsbridge branches. With in-person and virtual consultations available, speak to a member of the team for free today about the clinic’s extensive list of beauty and medical treatments.